Welcome to the Historic Horeke Boutique Hotel
The Horeke Hotel is the oldest surviving hotel in New Zealand. The oldest part dates from around 1833, It might not have had a liquor license, but it served the many ship builders working in the first commercial shipbuilding yard in New Zealand, established in 1826, which was situated right beside where the pub now stands. It is located on the waterfront of the Hokianga Harbour in the Far North District.
Nowadays the Horeke Boutique Hotel is fully licensed with its own Restaurant, Bar, Cycle Trail Services and Accommodation including a 1924 built “ House on the Water“ built out over the beach, newly refurbished with 4 double bedrooms and all bedrooms have their own tiled bathrooms.
It is a great place to recharge the batteries, and simply enjoy the moment. From here you have easy access to an exciting variety of activities, there is plenty to see or do, or just sip a glass of wine on our balcony and soak in the picturesque view and relax after a long cycle.
Twin Coast Cycle Trail
The Horeke Boutique Hotel is situated at the end or start of the “Pou Herenga Tai Twin Coast Cycle Trail” sometimes called “Northland Coast to Coast Cycle Trail” or “Twin Coast Cycle Trail” from Opua via Kawakawa, Kaikohe, and Okaihau to Horeke connecting the Bay of Islands to the Hokianga Harbour.
Some Interesting History about Horeke and its Hotel, also see the Historic Place Trust.
Also, Horeke, the second town ever established in NZ, is the home of the first commercial ship building yard in New Zealand dating back to 1826.
On the 6th of February 1840, Captain Hobson signed the treaty of Waitangi between the British Government and Northland Chiefs from the Bay of Islands. Hobson walked from the Bay to the Hokianga and on the 12th of February 1840, at Mangungu Mission Station in Horeke, the Treaty was signed. The day after the signing, Captain Hobson put on a feast for the locals at the Hotel and ship building yards at Horeke. This was the first government funded Hui (Function or Gathering) in the country.
By May 1840 New Zealand`s first postal service was established between Horeke and the Bay of Islands. Every Tuesday a letter could be delivered on horse back for a princely sum of 1/6d. Ask at the pub to see the original petition signed by the locals at Horeke on the 13th of May 1840, addressed to Governor Hobson, requesting that this postal service be established.