Welcome to the Horeke Hotel
The Horeke Hotel is the first Pub ever built in New Zealand. It might not have had a liquor license, but it served the many ship builders working in the first commercial shipbuilding yard in New Zealand, which was situated right beside the Hokianga shore. It is located on the waterfront of the Hokianga Harbour in the Far North District.
Nowadays the Horeke Hotel is fully licenced with its own Restaurant,Bar, Cycle Trail Services and Accommodation.
It is a great place to recharge the batteries, and simply enjoy the moment. From here you have easy access to an exciting variety of activities, there is plenty to see or do. Or just sip a glass of wine on our balcony and soak in the picturesque view and relax after a long cycle.
Twin Coast Cycle Trail
The Tavern is situated at the end or start of the “Pou Herenga Tai Twin Coast Cycle Trail” sometimes called “Northland Coast to Coast Cycle Trail” or “Twin Coast Cycle Trail” from Opua via Kawakawa, Kaikohe, and Okaihau to Horeke connecting the Bay of Islands to the Hokianga Harbour.
Some Interesting History about Horeke and its Hotel, also see the Historic Place Trust.
Also, Horeke is home of the first commercial ship building yard in New Zealand dating back to 1826.
On the 6th of February 1840, Captain Hobson signed the treaty of Waitangi between the British Governments and Northland Chiefs and the Bay of Islands. Hobson walked from the Bay to the Hokianga and on the 12th of February 1840, at Mangungu Mission Station in Horeke, the remainder of the Treaty was signed. Afterward Captain Hobson put on a feast for the locals at Horeke. This was one of the first government funded Hui (Function or Gathering) in the country.
By May 1840 New Zealands first postal service was established between Horeke and the Bay of Islands. Every Tuesday a letter could be delivered on horse back for a princely sum of 1/6d.